Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Local Paper on Low Carb Party Menu
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in cold water (or no starch)
- 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half
- 1 lb lobster meat, cooked
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon red sweet bell pepper, slivers
- In a large pan, melt the butter, add the celery, onion, thyme, red pepper flakes and lemon zest.
- Cook until vegetables are softened, about 20 minutes.
- Gradually stir in broth and half and half.
- When warm, stir in cornstarch.
- Heat on medium until bubbly and thick, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked lobster, sherry, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with red pepper slivers.
I added fire roasted tomatoes to cut the sweetness of the lobster. Also found it needed a bit more lemon.
This was a HUGE hit at a party I hosted and extremely easy to make. I changed the serving size to 8, and followed the advise of Amy and used less celery - I used 8 stalks instead of the suggested 12. I did use the suggested 1 tsp of red pepper flakes and that was perfect. To cut the cost, I used imitation lobster meat and it was still incredibly delicious. After I added the meat, I used an emulsion blender to break up the veggies and meat into smaller pieces just to make it less chunky and a bit smoother. Everybody had second helpings!
The taste of this Lobster Bisque was rich, creamy and delicious!! Restaurant Quality! The only changes I would make are slight and depend on your taste...I would use HALF the amount of Red pepper flakes(a little too HOT for me) and I would use a little less celery, maybe 4 stalks instead of 6. Overall and EXCELLENT recipe!