Recipe by Meg Sweetland Baker
You will need a large stock pot for this soup. This recipie has morphed from the original (which is so old I don't know where I got it from). I don't like a lot of fat in my cooking, but if you don't like 24 oz of evaporated skim milk, you can substitute 36 oz. of half and half. I also reduced the amount of butter from the original recipie from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup. So if you want it richer, just add more butter or half and half. The easiest way to get the cooked chicken and the 7 cups of broth is to make your own chicken broth using chicken pieces. However, if you don't have home made broth on hand, just use cooked chicken and canned broth or bullion cubes.
Top Review by DuChick
Yummy! Working with what I had, I made a few changes to this recipe and had wonderful results. I used leftover turkey instead of chicken, used fat free half&half instead of evaporated milk and no butter or extra water w/ boullions. I found it needed salt, so each of us added to our own tastes. I will definitely keep this on hand for cold winter nights!
- 8 ounces wild rice, uncooked
- 4 cups water
- 3 -4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme, ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 24 ounces skim evaporated milk
- 12 ounces water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3⁄4 cup cooking sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 Celsius water to a boil.
- Add wild rice to boiling water.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cooked chicken to rice.
- In a seperate frying pan, heat 2 T. olive oil and saute the celery, onions and mushrooms until the onions are clear.
- Add flour to vegetables and mix well.
- Add chicken broth to vegetables and stir until flour is dissolved.
- Add this mixture to the rice and chicken. Stir well.
- Add spices, evaporated milk, water, butter, and chicken bullion to the stock pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Finish y adding sherry cooking wine.