Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Pasta by Katharine Blakemore Light and Healthy
Make and share this Sherried Chicken and Fettucini Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ounce butter or 1 ounce low fat margarine
- 1 1⁄2 ounces flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Cook fettucini in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, until still quite firm, then drain well.
- Cook onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in butter until soft. Add the flour, cook for 1 minute, then add the stock, sherry, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix together the pasta, chicken, cream and vegetable sauce. Pour into a shallow ovenproof casserole, sprinkle with the cheese. Cook in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or microwave 8 to 10 minutes on HIGH.
- Note**** This is an ideal dish for using up the remaining of the cooked chicken. Use the chicken carcass to make the stock.
- If cooking this dish in the microwave, finish off under the broiler to brown the cheese.
My family really enjoyed this and we will definitely make it again! I used leftover chicken, diced onions from the freezer and leftover broccoli in place of the mushrooms & red pepper (neither of which I had on hand). It was so simple to make! For other conversion-challenged cooks out there, here's what the ounces in the recipe equate to (approximately):
1 oz butter = 2 Tablespoons
1.5 oz flour = 3/4 of 1/4 cup (not sure how else to describe it!)
12 oz chicken = 1.5 cups
I did add 1 T. of corn starch (mixed with cold water first) to the skillet with the vegetables and broth to help it thicken up a bit. I did not add any salt as we found it plenty salty just from the broth. Thanks for posting... looking forward to eating the leftovers tomorrow!
We all really liked the flavor this dish offered. I made it from scratch, except fot the chicken...we had delicious chicken breast last night, so I thought I would use that up. To be honest , I did have a difficult time converting the measurements to cups...etc. Although, I would not choose to serve it for company... it makes a wonderful casserole for leftover pasta and chicken... and perhaps tuna? There is wonderful versatility to this recipe and I will certainly make this again. It was scrumptious. Thank you for sharing this.. Twila
The whole family loved this recipe. I added extra chicken, and used spaghetti instead of fettucini, as we had none. I also forgot the cream at the end but it was rich enough without. The kids loved the sweet flavour from the sherry, and it was a good way of sneeking a few vegies into their diet!