Recipe by barefootmommawv
From Pasta by Katharine Blakemore Light and Healthy
Top Review by Lori Ann D
My family really enjoyed this and we will definitely make it again! I used leftover chicken, diced onions from the freezer and leftover broccoli in place of the mushrooms & red pepper (neither of which I had on hand). It was so simple to make! For other conversion-challenged cooks out there, here's what the ounces in the recipe equate to (approximately):
1 oz butter = 2 Tablespoons
1.5 oz flour = 3/4 of 1/4 cup (not sure how else to describe it!)
12 oz chicken = 1.5 cups
I did add 1 T. of corn starch (mixed with cold water first) to the skillet with the vegetables and broth to help it thicken up a bit. I did not add any salt as we found it plenty salty just from the broth. Thanks for posting... looking forward to eating the leftovers tomorrow!
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ounce butter or 1 ounce low fat margarine
- 1 1⁄2 ounces flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook fettucini in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, until still quite firm, then drain well.
- Cook onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in butter until soft. Add the flour, cook for 1 minute, then add the stock, sherry, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix together the pasta, chicken, cream and vegetable sauce. Pour into a shallow ovenproof casserole, sprinkle with the cheese. Cook in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or microwave 8 to 10 minutes on HIGH.
- Note**** This is an ideal dish for using up the remaining of the cooked chicken. Use the chicken carcass to make the stock.
- If cooking this dish in the microwave, finish off under the broiler to brown the cheese.