Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is a very good recipe that I found in Bon Appetit many, many years ago. It is a good family dinner, but is nice enough for company.
Top Review by Pat Riddle
Had this for dinner last night and did use (gasp!) regular cooking sherry. It came out fine - very good, even though we also didn't have chicken gravy mix. My DH has actually promoted this to the "we have to make this again, sometime" list, so I know it was good. I served it over linguine - practically licked up the sauce, it was so good! Thanks for posting it!
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,and patted dry
- seasoning salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup good quality dry sherry (NOT cooking sherry!)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar button mushrooms, liquid reserved,about
- unseasoned chicken broth or water, as needed
- 1 package dry chicken gravy mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes, as accompaniment
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly sprinkle chicken with seasoned salt and pepper, and brown on both sides in butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add sherry and liquid from mushrooms, cover, and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken to serving dish.
- Measure pan juices and add water or broth as necessary to make 1-1/4 cups.
- Carefully blend liquid and chicken gravy mix in Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Blend in sour cream, and add mushrooms.
- Heat, but do not allow to boil!
- When sauce is smooth and hot, pour over chicken breasts.
- Serve with fluffy rice or mashed potatoes.