Recipe by Deborah1
This is quick and tasty chicken dish with almost no prep time and great results. Sherry and onions are a great match. It's just as easy to make in a crockpot, which I do often.
Top Review by Chris White
This was indeed easy, but I've tried this twice (in the oven) and been disappointed both times. There simply isn't much flavor to the chicken. It comes out poached and bland - the salt in the supermarket sherry I used wasn't enough to drive the sweet wine flavor into the meat. I'm guessing the crock pot version would be much tastier, as it would allow more time for the meat to draw in flavor, or perhaps a cream sauce made with the sherry braise would give this some life.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a baking dish, I use an 8 x 8 glass one, with vegetable spray.
- Cut onion in half lengthwise and then cross wise into thick slices,.
- Place chicken in prepared pan, scatter onion slices over the top.
- Mix the sherry and water and pour over the chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, spoon liquid over chicken and bake 5 minutes more, or until done.
- To prepare in a crock pot, sprinkle half of onion over bottom, add chicken and place remaining onion on top.
- Add the sherry water mixture and cook on low as long 6 to 8 hours or on high for about 3 hours.
- The result is very tender juicy chicken.
- I use chicken breasts straight from my freezer, no need to thaw and cook on low while i am at work and the chicken never dries out.