Recipe by Jenny Frenny
Long time favorite of my family's. Can be done either in the oven or the crock pot. Cook time listed is oven time. Always check the crockpot during the day and make sure that the gravy isn't getting too thick. Just add water if that is the case. My mom never browned the meat, it all just went into the pot. If you are short on time, this step can be omitted.
Top Review by Chef Shadows
Very good! I followed directions for oven except I cooked mine at 250Â° for 6 hours...fall apart good! I used more sherry instead of water to thin the gravy. Thanks for postimg. Update 4/8/09. Made this again using crockpot method, stick with the oven method it is so much better! No change in star rating , still 4 star.
- 3 lbs stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together in a bowl the canned soup and the packet of dry onion soup mix. Set aside.
- Put beef into a plastic bag with flour and toss to lightly coat the beef cubes.
- Brown in oil on top of stove. Remove the meat and deglaze the pan with the sherry.
- Put meat and the liquid from the pan in the soup mixture and mix well.
- Pour into crock pot or dutch oven and cover.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 3 hours or even better at 300 degrees for 4 hours. In crockpot, cook on low for 8 hours.
- Check halfway through cooking time to check gravy. If thick add small amounts of water to desired consistency.
- Serve meat over noodles or potatoes with gravy.