Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love sloppy joes, but most recipes are really bland for me. I keep experimenting, because I like them spicy, but also sweet, so here is what I came up with!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 -2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Cut pepper into bite size pieces, dice onion, smash garlic.
- Brown hamburger together with the onion, pepper, and garlic until the hamburger is cooked.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over toasted hamburger buns.
PAC Fall 2007 ~ We like it, but thought it was a bit too sweet, even with just a 1/4 cup brown sugar. Instead of ketchup, I took a can of chopped tomatoes, poured them into a sieve, let the water drain, then pushed them through to give a puree. Had a nice kick though with the cayenne and paprika! You didn't specify whether to use dry or prepared mustard, so used a prepared honey Dijon. Thanks for sharing!