Recipe by Narshmellow
I love beef stew. I am not fond of canned stew and have read many recipes and finally just took a little from one and a little from another and just added the things I like. This one my family loved so it's a keeper!
Top Review by funfriend
Wonderful! What more can I say. I followed the recipe exactly. I did double it - it almost didn't fit in my huge crock pot! I doubled it with the intention of freezing half. No such luck. My family saw to it that there was none left for freezing!
- 3 large potatoes, peeled,diced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut up bite sized
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place diced potatoes and sliced carrots in a large microwave safe bowl, cover and cook in microwave for six minutes until potatoes are partially cooked.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Place flour in a gallon sized plastic bag and coat meat.
- Brown meat in skillet.
- (Remaining flour in bag will be used as thickener) Put potatoes and meat in crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Add flour from bag along with enough to make 1/3 of a cup of flour.
- Stir well and let simmer on low for 4 hours.
- If not to desired thickness you may remove cover and turn to high, stir every so often.
- Or add more flour or some cornstarch dissolved in a little water.