Recipe by hannath
This is a recipe that I came up with by tweaking ones that I have read and my Mom's recipe. Since I don't actually have my Mom's recipe, it died with her, because she never wrote it down! I, on the other hand, have been writing them down and passing them on to family, friends and Recipezaar. Hopefully, one recipe will be great, family loves it, and it keeps on going because everyone loves it!! This recipe is totally from scratch and can be canned. I cook this in a big turkey roaster so it can simmer for hours. The whole house smells wonderful while its cooking!! Enjoy!!
- 16 quarts roma-type tomatoes, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- 2 full heads of garlic
- 4 large onions
- 8 sweet peppers (green, yellow, red)
- 1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed and heaping
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (bottled only)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons basil
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 12 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch, peel and core the tomatoes. Chop them so they are in smallish pieces. Place in roaster.
- Peel garlic and place in a food processor. Half and quarter the onions and toss them in with the garlic. Process until finely chopped. Pour in with tomatoes.
- Seed and clean the peppers. Cut in chunks and toss in the food processor. Process until finely chopped. Pour into tomatoes. Stir up well.
- Add remaining ingredients except the bay leaves, allspice and fennel. Take these and divide into two cheese cloth sections. Take each cheese cloth and tie it with spices enclosed. Add to tomatoes.
- Start roaster at about 300°F Get it hot, stirring occasionally. Let it cook for about 3 hours.
- Turn cooker down to 200°F and let simmer either all day or overnight. (I let it go overnight, and when I came out of the bedroom, the house was filled with yumminess).
- Once it reaches the consistency you like, I like mine thick, ladle hot sauce into clean, hot quart jars. Wipe rim clean, place two part canning lids in place and tighten to finger tight.
- Put hot jars into readied pressure canner, process according to processors directions for 25 minutes.