Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This makes 2 quarts of dip which makes it an ideal dip for a large gathering or, if you are like my house, enough for 5 hungry guys! The shrimp has to be boiled/prepared before making this recipe, so adjust your time and efforts accordingly. We usually allow our dip to sit in the refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving which seems to enhance the flavors.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely minced
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) jar capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 lbs boiled shrimp (cooked in crab boil, cooled, peeled, deveined and chopped coarsely)
- Cream together the mayonnaise and cream cheese.
- Add the juice from the lemon, onion, capers and cayenne pepper and blend well.
- Fold in chopped shrimp and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cracker, chips, toast points or on toasted french bread slices.
- Refrigerate for one hour before serving, but the longer it sits, the better it gets.