Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
With an overabundance of tomatoes this year, we went on a search for recipes using them. This recipe is a compilation of several recipes that daddy and I tried and this is one we all really liked. FRESH, HOMEGROWN tomatoes make the best sandwich!!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 slices bread, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar.
- Marinate the tomatoes in this mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, parsely, oregano, pepper and 5 tsp grated parmesan cheese.
- Spread mixture over each slice of toasted bread.
- Place marinated tomatoes on 2 slices of bread and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place on baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes, or until cheese turns golden brown. Serve hot as an open faced sandwich or closed.
These were really good. I marinated the tomatoes for about an hour and added the spice to the marinade (didn't use mayo). Very tasty - just the right amount of balsamic.
I too had an abundance of tomatoes and this makes the perfect snack! Thanks so much Sherrybeth for this quick, flavorful goody!