1/1 Photo of Shepherd's Vegetable Pie
1 hr 30 mins
A delicious meat-free take on a shepherd's pie from VegNews. We really enjoy this - nice and filling with plenty of flavor. I have successfully subbed in lentils for the veggie crumbles before - I just prepare 3/4 cup dried lentils according to package directions and proceed from there with the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1Potato Topping: Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot of water until soft enough to mash, about 20-30 minutes. When ready, drain and mash with milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. While the potatoes are boiling, you can prep the gravy and filling.
- 2Gravy: Prepare the gravy in a small saucepan. Bring the broth, tamari soy sauce, thyme, salt and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in the cornstarch water mixture. When sauce thickens (about 2 minutes), stir in milk. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 3Filling: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Add veggie crumbles, gravy, peas, tamari soy sauce, thyme, salt and pepper, and mix well. Remove from heat.
- 4Pie: Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare the pie by lightly greasing a baking dish. Place filling in the bottom and spread the mashed potatoes in a layer over the top. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until filling is hot and potatoes are golden.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Vegetable Pie
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.1
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 2805.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: