Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from Leanne Ely's "Saving Dinner." It is one of my family's favorites.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup oats
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the broiler.
- In an oven proof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, & beef; cook until beef is browned and crumbled.
- Drain beef & blot with paper towels. Add oats & stir weel to incorporate.
- Add ketchup, spices, beef broth, & cornstarch; stir well and allow to simmer on low to thicken slightly.
- Heat mashed poatoes and set aside.
- Add sour cream to beef mixture and mix again.
- Remove skillet from heat and spoon mashed potatoes evenly over the entire skillet.
- Top with cheddar cheese an d placxe skillet under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Next time will use less sour cream and maybe more ketchup. Went down a treat though. Thank you. Will be adding it to my favs.