Recipe by diner524
Found this in "The BBQ Bible" and I am posting it for ZWT6. There are probably as many versions of this colorful salad as there are Turkish cooks to make it. The basic ingredients are onions, tomatoes and peppers. Here's a more elaborate version that's bursting with Anatolian freshness.
Top Review by cmr1120
Fabulous! I was hankering for a taste of Turkey, and this hit the spot! My whole family thorougly enjoyed it! I will definitely be making this again especially when my garden has produced fresh tomatoes and cucumbers in the summer! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 large ripe tomatoes (or two small tomatoes)
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 small red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, brine-cured
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces feta cheese, drained and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Core and seed the tomatoes and cut into 1/4 inch dice. Peel and seed the cucumber and cut into 1/4 inch dice. Stem and seed the pepper and cut into 1/4 inch dice. Cut the onion into 1/4 inch dice.
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, parsley (if using) and most of the olives in a serving bowl. Add the oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar and salt and pepper and toss gently but thoroughly to mix. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper or vinegar as necessary; the salad should be highly seasoned.
- Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese over the salad, decorate with the remaining olives and serve immediatley.