Recipe by Mille®
The shepherd was allegedly seen doing inappropriate things with the sheep, so he was temporarily reassigned to a herd of cattle while he underwent therapy, and therefore the only thing he could bring home to the cook was beef.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 fluid ounces low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 lbs potatoes, cooked and mashed
- additional unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef in a frying pan.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lower the heat and cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are wilted.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in enough of the butter/flour roux to make thick gravy to bind the filling.
- Pour into large shallow baking pan and cool.
- The filling should be about 1½ inches deep.
- Cover the meat mixture in the pan with the corn and then top with the hot mashed potatoes.
- Spread the potatoes evenly and brush the surface with butter.
- Bake at 325°F for 35-40 minutes.