Recipe by Miss Banana
I got this recipie off of the PBS show Everyday Food. I love shepherd pie, and this one is very easy.
- 2 lbs fresh ground lamb
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- coarse salt
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- coarse salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°. Heat a large skillet over high heat. In two batches, cook lamb until no longer pink, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer lamb to a colander set in a bowl; let fat drain off and discard.
- Add ¼ cup water to the skillet, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium; add onion and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Add flour; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups water, and lamb. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in peas; cook 1 minute. Divide among eight 8-ounce ramekins or two 9-inch glass pie dishes.
- Meanwhile, make potato topping. Spread over pies; use a fork to make peaks. Bake on a baking sheet until tops are browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly; serve.