Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
We enjoyed this casserole which is only 5 points plus/serving. Recipe source: WW magazine (January 2013)
For the topping
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (I only used one sweet potato)
- 1⁄2 cup half & half light cream
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3⁄4 ground beef, lean
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (I used ground cinnamon and cloves mixed together)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen vegetables
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- To make topping: bring potatoes and enough water to cover to a boil over med high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender (10 minutes). Drain. Set pan back over medium heat and add half and half, ginger and 1/2 teaspoon salt - cook 1 minutes. Remove from heat and add potatoes and mash.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray 2 quart casserole or baking dish with Pam.
- To make filling: Whisk together in a measuring cup or bowl the first 6 ingredients (broth - pepper) until smooth and set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat heat oil and then add onion, cooking until tender (5-10 minutes) and then add ground beef and spices (- cumin) and cook for another 2-5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Stir in broth mixture and frozen vegetables.
- Pour filling in baking dish and spread topping over mixture and then sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbling.