Recipe by quikgourmet
We enjoy this casserole made with zucchini, beef, and mashed potatoes. It reheats beautifully and can be made ahead. Hope you like it!
Top Review by mersaydees
This is such delicious comfort food and worth every bit of work. I had difficulty staying away from a second serving. I love the veggies in this. Thanks, quikgourmet, for a casserole I will make often! Made for PAC Fall 2009.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet red pepper (or you can use roasted red bell pepper in a jar)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb zucchini, shredded
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 4 cups instant potato flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large fry pan over medium heat. Saute onion, red pepper, and garlic 3 minutes. Add zucchini and beef, breaking up beef with spoon. Cook stirring often, until meat loses red color (4 minutes). Stir in half the cheddar cheese, 1 t. salt, basil, and pepper. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 450. Lightly grease 9 x 13 casserole. Bring water, milk, and 1 t. salt to boil. Stir in potato flakes; then beat in egg and rest of cheese. Remove from heat.
- Spread half of potato mixture in bottom of casserole. Spoon meat mixture over potatoes; spoon rest of potatoes on top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Broil for 3-5 to brown top; then let sit 5 minutes before cutting. (If made ahead, heat for 30 minutes at 350 or until center is warm. Then heat at 450 for 15 minutes to brown the top.).