Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is just a compilation of things I had in the fridge that needed to be used up. DH loved it and ate two big helpings. Note: I didn't include the thawing time for the puff pastry.
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes (cut in cubes)
- 3 medium carrots (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce (add to the cooking water for the potatoes and carrots)
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (to cook all the veggies in)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cups cabbage (cut thin)
- 6 button mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 small head broccoli (chopped)
- 1⁄4 medium head cauliflower (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup broth (chicken or veggie whatever you like)
- 3 tablespoons spike seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 5/8 ounce) package quorn meatballs (meatless)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry (I used only one sheet)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (I used Italian)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Thaw the puff pastry for about 40 minutes, once thawed, do not roll it out!
- Spray a 9x9 inch casserole dish with oil and set aside.
- Cook the meatballs for 2 minutes in the microwave. Once they are cool cut them in half.
- Now cook the potatoes and carrots -- and while they are cooking saute the vegetables --.
- Put the cut up potatoes and carrots in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and add the tamari sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium for about 15- 20 minutes or until they are just soft. When they are done drain off the tamari water and add the 1/4 cup vegan margarine and using a hand blender or potato masher combine all together until the potato/carrot mixture is mashed.
- Preheat your oven to 350'F.
- I use coconut oil to saute the vegetables in because it doesn't go rancid when heated on high temperatures. Add all the cut up vegetables to the saute Pan.
- Once the vegetables are just tender (about 15-20 minutes) add the Spike seasoning, garlic powder and pepper to the cooking vegetables. Taste to see if your seasonings are to your liking. Add the meatballs, broth and mushroom soup. Give it a good stir and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- When done, scoop the vegetables out of the saute pan with a slotted spoon into the oiled casserole dish. There should be some gravy left in the saute pan. Add the bread crumbs to this. If it's too thick add more broth. This mixture should be like gravy.
- Then put the gravy over the vegetables in the casserole dish and spread it all over the vegetables.
- Then put the mashed potato/carrot mixture over the gravy covered vegetables and spread it over all the vegetables. I used an off set spatula for this and it worked great.
- Then place your thawed puff pastry over top and tuck the sides down into the casserole dish. Beat the egg and brush it over the puff pastry.
- Cut steam holes in the top of the puff pastry. Bake for 40 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown and the vegetables are bubbling hot.
- Serve with a little ketchup, it does add.
- Bon Appetit!