Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Weight Watchers with a little tweeking from me. Sooooo scrumptious. Worth 3 pts. per serving.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, diced
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup leftover cooked turkey, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth or 2 cups turkey broth
- Put potatoes in pan with water and cook until fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes; add sour cream and 1/2 c broth.
- Mash until smooth and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over med-hi heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery.
- Cook until soft; about 5 minute.
- Add garlic; cook 1 more minute.
- Add turkey and cook till warmed through.
- Add flour, thyme, salt and pepper; stir to coat.
- Add remaining broth and bring to simmer;simmer until mixture thickens, about 4 minute.
- Transfer turkey mixture to 9" casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potato over top and using the back of the spoon, make swirls on the top.
- Bake until potatoes are golden, about.
- 30 minutes @ 400 degrees.
I was looking for something a little different as a way to use up my turkey leftovers. My family loved this dinner, including 3 teenagers! I threw in some extra turkey because it didn't look like enough, and I would add even more next time. I think 2 cups of turkey would be a better amount to keep it thick. Also, I would have paid closer attention to the amount of sour cream and/or broth in the potatoes as mine ended up a little thin. Very tasty and I will use this recipe again!
I was looking for a way to use leftover turkey and we liked this so much sometimes I make chicken just to use this recipe. I have also used a lb of ground beef my family loves it. I sometimes use whatever veggies I have leftover or add frozen peas or corn to it. I always add more than a cup of turkey or chicken. It makes it's own gravy that seeps up over the mashed potatoes which you can see in my picture. That is a 9 X 11 pan I used.
I made half the recipe and added a little more turkey and a small can of peas and carrots. This was super, like a pot pie with potato crust. Excellent for leftovers that are so diff from the original dinner. Thanks for posting Chicopee.