1/4 Photos of Shepherd's Pie With Garlic Potato Topping
1 hr 10 mins
Rhonda *J*'s Note:
I had a favorite recipe for Shepherds Pie that I have misplaced. I searched recipe sites like crazy trying to find it, or one similar to it, and this is what i came up with. Mine was not a garlicky topping but very similar in the fact that you beat egg into the topping(and a little cheddar cheese) and i would top it with a little bit of fine, dry breadcrumbs and a shake of parmesan once i spread it over the meat layer.If you are not a garlic fan you could probably just leave it out. Sometimes i would spread a can of cream corn over the meat layer,however this recipe calls for corn kernels to be mixed right in,you could probably still do either.My recipe also called for the thyme & savory which i like the flavor of. This recipe was credited to "New Canadian Basics"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon savory
- 2 cups beef stock (my original recipe called for consomme)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/2 cup corn kernel
- 1Brown ground beef,drain fat.
- 2Add onions& garlic,cook until softened.
- 3Stir in flour,salt,pepper,thyme& savory.
- 4Add stock,worcestershire,bay leaf,& carrots.
- 5Cover loosely and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until quite thick and carrots are tender.
- 6Stir in corn.
- 7Add salt to taste, remove bay leaf.
- 8Spread in 11x7 baking dish,let cool slightly.
- 9For the topping: In boiling salted water,cook potatoes with garlic until tender.
- 10Drain well and mash,beat in milk,salt& pepper.
- 11Reserve 1 tbsp beaten egg,beat remainder into potatoes.
- 12Spread over meat mixture (easiest if you start from edges).
- 13Brush with reserved egg.(I sometimes sprinkle a little parmesan & parsley over top too).
- 14Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until filling is bubbling.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Pie With Garlic Potato Topping
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.4
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.5 mg
- Sodium 534.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 29.6 g