Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lots of variations with this recipe. Ground chicken or turkey could replace the beef...lentils or beans could replace the chickpeas. Low in fat...high in fiber...wonderful in taste!
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups chickpeas, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chili sauce (or tomato sauce, ketchup or pureed canned tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Combine potatoes and whole garlic cloves in pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, saving about 1 cup cooking liquid.
- With potato masher, mash potatoes with 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add additional liquid if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet. Add beef and brown. Add onions and chopped garlic and cook until tender. Drain off any fat if necessary.
- Add chickpeas and chili sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook gently for about 10 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire, hot pepper sauce, breadcrumbs, peas, corn and combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to lightly oiled 10 x 8" casserole. Spread mashed potatoes on top. Dust with paprika.
- Bake in preheated oven 400 for 30 minutes.