1/5 Photos of Shepherd's Pie With Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Easy to prepare. A great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes (just stir in some cheese). You can also add some thyme and/or rosemary to the meat mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (I use a large white onion)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 -3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or 2 lbs ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups garden peas or 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- 1Cheesy Mashed Potatoes:.
- 2Fill a large saucepan with cold water; season with salt (1-2 teaspoons). Add potatoes to the water and bring to a boil. Let potatoes cook until soft about 20 minutes.
- 3Drain the potatoes and place them back into the saucepan for mashing. Add butter and cream and begin to mash potatoes into a semi smooth consistency. Once at desired texture, add cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Shepherd's Pie:.
- 5(Begin preparing while potatoes are boiling).
- 6Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- 7Add butter and oil to a large skillet on medium heat. Saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic until tender for about 7 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Once the vegetables have softened and start to brown a little add the tomato paste and mix evenly.
- 9Add the ground beef and cook until beef is no longer pink about 10 minutes.
- 10Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook and simmer for another 10 minutes. Mix in peas.
- 11Transfer mixture to an oven-proof baking dish and spread evenly. Place cheesy mashed potatoes on top of ground beef mixture and spread out evenly, once the top surface has been covered, rake through with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. Place the dish into the preheated oven and cook until browned about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Pie With Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (619 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.6
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 157.0 mg
- Sodium 501.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 44.4 g