1 hr 20 mins
Chef Ed Latham's Note:
This recipe is adapted from the one in Diane Mott Davidson's murder mystery "Sweet Revenge". Good book ... great recipe adapted to have a little hint of Maine French Christmas meat pie. Enjoy. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 cups onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 lbs potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter two 9-inch deep dish pie plates.
- 3Saute beef, pork, onion and celery in oil.
- 4Add flour, stir, cook until mixture starts to bubble (2 to 3 min).
- 5Slowly add chicken stock.
- 6Stir in thyme, rosemary, cloves, salt and pepper.
- 7Cook and stir until thickened.
- 8Stir in peas and corn.
- 9Boil peeled potatoes until fork tender in salted water.
- 10Heat half and half (don't boil).
- 11Drain potatoes and place in large bowl of electric mixer.
- 12Beat on low, slowly add half-and-half, the cheeses, salt and pepper.
- 13Divide meat mixture between the two pie plates.
- 14Top each with half potato mixture.
- 15Scatter bits of butter on top.
- 16Place pies on baking sheets (mine always overflow).
- 17Bake 45 min (or until potato are browned).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Pie (Wicked Good)
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 734.5
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 129.0 mg
- Sodium 254.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 35.7 g