Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6.
- Dry fry the lamb with the onion, bay leaf, mushrooms and carrots for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually blend in the stock and tomato puree. Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and boils.
- Cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Remove the bayleaf and spoon into a 1.7 litre ovenproof serving dish.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes until tender.
- Drain well and mash with the butter and milk and mix well.
- Pile onto the mince mixture and sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with a green vegetable.
I just loved the lancashire cheese idea - I just can't find any around here anymore. I had to use aged white cheddar instead (not the same I know, but I couldn't help it). I used mushroom stock in place of the beef stock - which I thought worked well. I found that the recipe served more than 4, so I have frozen the other portions. Hopefully they will be as good as the original. Thanks for posting.
The best recipe for Shepherds pie that i have made. Excellent!