1/3 Photos of Shepherd's Pie (The Real Thing!)
This is a traditional English pub style recipe. I can make this anywhere in the world and it will evoke memories of pub lunches! This is no way a diet item! Its a robust & hearty dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 700 g ground lamb
- half a can Guinness stout (to marinade ground lamb)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped english parsley
- 75 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons flour (for thickening)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 kg potato (peel, boil, mash & season)
- 1Use 1/2 a can of Guiness Stout to marinade ground lamb. Leave covered in fridge for at least 1 hr and if possible overnight.
- 2In a hot pan, put in olive oil and add mince lamb to brown. Strain cooked mince with a big sieve, separating meat & juice.
- 3Reheat same pan, add more olive oil and now saute & brown diced onions, garlic and carrot till fragrant and translucent.
- 4Add the cooked mince into this pan and mix well.
- 5Add dried marjoram, rosemary and thyme and mix well.
- 6Pour left over juice from the mince into the pan and add all the Worcestershire sauce and half of the English parsley and stir well.
- 7Cook on low heat for 20 mins and when it starts bubbling, add in flour to thicken the mixture.
- 8Add salt & pepper to taste.
- 9Cook potatoes in salted water till soft enough to mash.
- 10Strain potatoes and mash with a big knob of salted butter, cream and milk (totally full fat!). Season with salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg powder.
- 11Pour cooked mince mixture in a big enough pyrex dish.
- 12Layer the mash potato on top and seal the edges.
- 13Bake or brown in oven for 20 to 30 mins at 180 degrees celsius.
- 14Serve with a side of boiled cabbage & carrots with lots of butter and sprinkle leftover English parsley!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Pie (The Real Thing!)
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1050.0
- Calories from Fat 577
- Total Fat 64.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 170.3 mg
- Sodium 435.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 46.5 g