Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A kicked up version of a classic dish. The red wine adds a great flavour.
For the Base
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste with garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano, Dry
- 1 tablespoon basil, Dry
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen vegetables (corn, carrots, beans)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
For the Topping
- 2 1⁄2 lbs white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- salt, for the potato water
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or more)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheddar blend cheese, shredded
- Heat Oven to 350°F.
- Cook potatoes in salted water, start from cold.
- At the same time heat olive oil in a large pan, add beef season with salt, pepper and cayenne over Med-High heat for 3 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic mix it up a bit, then add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, Oregano and Basil and cook for 2 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Add red wine and reduce until it is almost evaporated. 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables and chicken broth, bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce is thick, 7 – 10 minutes.
- At this point beat the egg yolks gently with the cream, drain the potatoes and mash them with the butter then the cream mixture.
- Once the beef mixture has reached a good thickness pour into a 9 x 13 pan and spread out evenly. Top with mashed potatoes and lightly cover with the shredded cheese.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350. Once it starts bubbling finish it off on a high broil for 5 minutes or until the top is golden brown.