Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Different spin on shepherds pie.
- 4 (240 g) potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 50 g button mushrooms, chopped (about 10)
- 250 g extra lean beef, minced
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot (60gm)
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk (65ml)
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (20gm)
- flaked sea salt
- salt & pepper
- preheat the oven to 200c.
- Prick each potato 6 times with a skewer.
- Spray with oil and sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Bake for 1 hr or until tender.
- Cut each potato in half length ways and scoop out the flesh, leaving a 1cm-thick shell
- Transfer flesh to a bowl and set aside.
- Spray inside of shells with oil.
- Bake for 15mins or until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add oil and mushrooms.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add mince and carrot.
- Cook for a further 4 minutes
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Add milk to reserve potato flesh and mash.
- Spoon mixture into potato shells.
- Top with mash mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Spray with olive oil spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden.
We really enjoyed this for our meal tonight. It was pretty easy to put together and very yummy. I think it would also be a great way so get kids to eat veggies as you could chop up nearly any vegetable into the meat mixture. The only reason that I am giving this four stars rather than five is that I think it could perhaps use some extra seasoning in the meat mixture. Perhaps some garlic salt instead of normal salt? Something like that. Otherwise this is a great and different meal. I will be making it again and I will use it as a base to explore. Made for PAC Spring 2008.