Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the my family's French Canadian version of Shepherds pie, which we call Pate Chinois. It's easy to make, cheap and very delicious. Serve with a nice loaf of crusty bread.
- 6-8 potatoes
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 226.79 g packagesliced button mushrooms
- 1 onion (diced)
- 538.64 g can corn
- 538.64 g can creamed corn
- soya sauce
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes.
- Mash potatoes, add a little butter and milk, (a little lumpy and not too creamy) salt and pepper.
- Brown ground beef (drain if necessary), add mushrooms and onion and cook till a bit tender.
- Sprinkle a little soya sauce on ground beef mixture (about 1-2 tblsp), and pepper.
- Put ground beef in bottom of roasting pan.
- Then the cream corn.
- Next the can of kernel corn.
- Finally the mashed potatoes.
- Brush the top with a little melted butter Bake at 375 for about an hour, or until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley.
- I like to put a little soya on my serving.
This is very close to the way I make Shepherd's Pie....very little difference. I have never used mushrooms or soy sauce in my pie prior to making this recipe. What a difference a few additions can make. Thank You, You have made my all time favorite comfort food so much better. Your recipe is a keeper.