I just made my first batch of this and it smells great. I made homemade gravy and plan on freezing from-scratch mashed potatoes separately. I also think that this would be great to have on hand for when you do have leftover mashed potatoes.
- In a dutch oven or stockpot, cook the beef over medium heat.
- About halfway through add the onion.
- Cook until the beef is no longer pink, drain off the grease.
- Microwave the carrots for 2 minutes.
- Add the gravy and veggies.
- Cool and put into 2 freezer containers. I put them in freezer bags.
- To prepare: Thaw frozen beef mixture in the refrigerator.
- Put into a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes, melted butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.