1 hr 30 mins
Chef Two Hearts's Note:
This recipe is the merge of two Zaar recipes. The base is close to Dana's Sloppy Joes # 32576 and well, any basic recipe for mashed potatoes will do. You might try Basic Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes Basic Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes for an overnight jump on your Shepherd's Pie. For mothers this recipe will be a joy to have on hand in the freezer. Adjust seasonings and ingredients to suit your family and share your ideas please!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs ground beef (comes in this quantity at most wholesale clubs)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cups catsup
- 4 tablespoons mustard
- 6 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 7 -10 lbs potatoes, cooked and mashed according to preferred method, try crockpot recipe suggested in notes above
- 1In large pot, brown beef with onions (I boil my beef, drain to reduce fat content, then add onions I've already sauteed).
- 2Mix remaining BASE ingredients in large bowl.
- 3Add beef and onions.
- 4At this point I placed 1/3 of meat mixture in a cassarole dish, added 1 cup of each frozen veggie and layered on 1/3 of mashed potatoes.
- 5Bake at 350F for an hour, or until heated through.
- 6While dinner is baking up, I pack up the cooled remaining meat mixture dividing meat mixture left into 2 labeled gallon ziplock bags.
- 7Divide remaining veggies into labled 2 qt freezer bags.
- 8Divide remaining mashed potatoes into 2 labeled gallon freezer bags.
- 9For convenience, I actually staple the bag of meat mixture, veggies and mashed potatoes together into 2 dinner groups to make it all easier to find in my freezer. Obviously, staple above the zip on the bag when stapling together. :-).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Pie - Make-Ahead, Freeze Ahead, OAMC
Serving Size: 1 (1314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2534.0
- Calories from Fat 954
- Total Fat 106.0 g
- Saturated Fat 40.5 g
- Cholesterol 462.6 mg
- Sodium 4510.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 249.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.4 g
- Sugars 51.7 g
- Protein 155.9 g