Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop cauliflower and steam it until very tender.
- Add cream cheese & butter.
- Remove from heat, mash well & season to taste.
- Line a baking dish with ½ of the mashed cauliflower as you would with mashed potatoes.
- Add beef and about 3/4 cheese and mix well.
- Cover the top with the rest of the mashed cauliflower. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top gets bubbly and begins to brown.
The first time of having a cauliflower mash :) I added a chopped onion, a little worcestershire sauce and some garlic to the browning mince for flavour. I didn't put any of the mash on the bottom of the dish instead I put it all on top and then topped with the cheese. I also added a little grated parmesan cheese to the other cheese as I wanted to use it up. This dish for me has lots of possibilities for various flavourings in the beef. Will certainly make this again. :)
One thing missing onions and allspice!! It's delicious with the allspice!
Last Updated July 27, 2011
My version was a little different. The following is from my private note...thanls for a great idea for a healthy alternative to a family favorite!
Use 1lb turkey. Saute pre-minced garlic in tblsp extra-virgin olive oil, add turkey, 2tblsp Coriander, 1 tblsp black pepper, brown. Cook 1 head califlower in boiling water. Drain, add 2 tblsp Smart Butter, 1 tblsp sea salt, 1tblsp celery seeds, 3tblsp fat-free sour cream mash together.