Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are delicious and different because of the zucchini, yet I found that even my kids will eat them (due to the mashed potatoes and gravy). They look pretty to serve and best news, can be made ahead, covered with foil, and baked when ready.
- 4 wide zucchini (6")
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (7/8 ounce) package brown gravy mix, made per directions
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (22 ounce) bagore-ida frozen mashed potatoes
- Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and preheat oven to 375.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Cook in water to cover until tender but still firm when you test with a fork.
- Drain and place on cutting board to cool.
- In your largest skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and carrot, cooking until tender but not brown.
- Add beef, mixing well, and cooking through.
- Prepare the gravy in a measuring cup or bowl and add to the beef mixture, along with the Worcestershire sauce, thyme, marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer 3 minutes and set aside.
- Prepare frozen mashed potatoes per directions on package.
- Fill each zucchini shell (look like boats!) with the beef mixture.
- Top with the mashed potatoes and swirl with a fork to add a decorative touch.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes (longer if you've made them ahead and they've been refrigerated).
- You'll know when they're done when the tops are lightly browned.
- You can use leftover or fresh mashed potatoes in place of the frozen.