Recipe by George Reinier
I prefer stew meat instead of ground beef, but either could be used. Frozen mixed vegetables can reduce preparation time. I usually make extra mashed potatoes for a meal the day before and save them for this.
- 1 lb stew meat
- to taste oil, For Browniing Meat
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Lou Price's Cajun Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, coarsely ground
- 4 cups vegetables
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown gravy mix
- 2 lbs mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat over medium high heat. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds (if vegetables to be used cook quickly, add onion with garlic and saute until tender). Add broth and spices to meat and simmer covered for 30 min.
- Chop veggies.
- Add onions and veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, celery, corn, your choice), simmer until tender.
- You may have to add vegetables at different times so that they are all done at the same time depending on the vegetables chosen.
- Mix 1/2 cup water and gravy mix in bowl.
- Add to mixture and simmer 5 min.
- Mix chives and taters.
- Place meat mixture in bottom of 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with taters.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 375: for 10 min.
- Note: This can be cooked in one dish if you use a cast iron chicken fryer or Dutch oven.
- Also tastes good with elk meat.