Recipe by Malaysian`Chef
This is my mom's recipe. It's delicious. A great holiday recipe. She was actually mad at me for posting a famous family recipe. But I think something this good should be enjoyed by everyone. :)
Top Review by EurasianGirl
Unbelievable! Tastes almost like my mothers shepherds pie! but I made the mistake by using extra lean ground beef, came out a little chewy. but other than that the pie tastes great!! thanks for the recipe. will be looking trough more of your recipes!
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 680.38 g minced beef
- 236.59 ml big yellow onion, diced
- 177.44 ml carrot, diced
- 236.59 ml green peas (put in last)
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 14.79 ml cornflour, for thickening
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml water
- 680.38 g potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 113.39 g butter
- 29.58 ml mayonnaise
- 14.79 ml heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 0.25 ml cheese
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the beef filling, heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Fry the beef, onion, carrots, beef stock, thyme, tomato paste, pepper and 1/4 water with cornflour until fairly thick but not dry. Put peas in till cooked. Dish into a Pyrex container and keep cool.
- For the mash potato topping, boil potatoes until cooked. Remove skin and mash with butter, egg, mayonnaise, cream, pepper, salt and seasoning. Mash until creamy (do not blend).
- Pipe on top of cooked beef and sprinkle with cheese on top and grill for 5 to 10 minutes until top is golden brown. Serve.
- •The above recipe can serve 5 to 6 persons. For 2 you can just cut the recipe in half and for the mash potatoes, you don't have to be exact--just adjust how thick you want the potato topping to be or if you want more beef than potato.