Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my mom's recipe. It's delicious. A great holiday recipe. She was actually mad at me for posting a famous family recipe. But I think something this good should be enjoyed by everyone. :)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs minced beef
- 1 cup big yellow onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup green peas (put in last)
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, for thickening
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 dash cheese
- salt & pepper
- For the beef filling, heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Fry the beef, onion, carrots, beef stock, thyme, tomato paste, pepper and 1/4 water with cornflour until fairly thick but not dry. Put peas in till cooked. Dish into a Pyrex container and keep cool.
- For the mash potato topping, boil potatoes until cooked. Remove skin and mash with butter, egg, mayonnaise, cream, pepper, salt and seasoning. Mash until creamy (do not blend).
- Pipe on top of cooked beef and sprinkle with cheese on top and grill for 5 to 10 minutes until top is golden brown. Serve.
- •The above recipe can serve 5 to 6 persons. For 2 you can just cut the recipe in half and for the mash potatoes, you don't have to be exact--just adjust how thick you want the potato topping to be or if you want more beef than potato.
Unbelievable! Tastes almost like my mothers shepherds pie! but I made the mistake by using extra lean ground beef, came out a little chewy. but other than that the pie tastes great!! thanks for the recipe. will be looking trough more of your recipes!
Really enjoyed this. Made it for the second time today. I don't know about everyone else but I used only 1 pound of ground beef and put a little extra tomato paste in. Also, I had no heavy cream so I just used milk in the potatoes. I am sure the cream would make it taste better, but it tastes great the way we made it. Also I used just a drained can of canned peas. I usually hate canned peas but it tastes great in this dish. I think this is one of those "hard to mess up" dishes.
This was REALLY good, even with a few not-so-great substitutions--instant mashed potatoes w/ onion/garlic instead of real, rosemary instead of thyme... This made a really filling and hearty meal, and it earned good reviews from my family!