Recipe by NELady
Left-over mashed potatoes make this simple, filling crock pot dish a breeze to put together in the morning (and have a tasty meal at dinner). I've included the original recipe -- which was just thrown together through experimenting with the classic ingredients -- and two variations.
- 3 -4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (sprinkle on top of mashed potatoes for garnish)
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the meat with the onion, garlic, celery and carrots until ground beef is no longer pink; drain any fat.
- Mix corn, sweet peas, salt, black pepper, tomato paste and water (fill up the 6 oz tomato paste can for measurement) into the meat mixture; stir well.
- Spray the inside of the crockpot with non-stick cooking spray; pour meat mixture into the bottom of crockpot; press into the bottom of the crockpot so it is dense and even.
- Spread leftover mashed potatoes (evenly) over the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the mashed potatoes with paprika (optional, for garnish).
- Cook on low 6 hours (high 3 hours); then, remove the lid for 30 minutes to allow the potatoes to brown.
- Sprinkle pie with fresh, chopped parsley (optional, for garnish).
- VARIATION 1: CHEESY SHEPHERD'S PIE--Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese to the pie by pressing the cheese over the meat mixture, and then layering the mashed potatoes on top of the cheese; Cook same length, same way.
- VARIATION 2: RUNZA/CABBAGE SHEPHERD'S PIE--Substitute shredded cabbage (2 cups) for the peas and corn; cook same length, same way.