Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
In our household we called this Shepherd's Pie, although I'm not sure that this recipe is truly a "Shepherd's pie" as it is made with ground beef.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In skillet, brown the ground beef and saute with onion.
- Drain beef.
- Stir in tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and celery salt.
- Pour mixture into a 1.5 quart (8x10) dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the beef mixture.
- Sprinkle top with cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes.
I agree with the last review, it's a good base to add on to! It was very easy and yummy. I added frozen corn and peas when I added the tomato sauce, as well as some more spices (rosemary and thyme seem to be traditional shepherd's pie spices). I needed a little water, too, to help cook the veggies.
This was a great base for a recipe! I substituted the tomato sauce for cream of mushroom soup and added a half a bag of frozen veggies! It was delicious, and it made for some great leftovers!
This was a great recipe the tomatoe sauce just delivers this dish! My family really enjoyed it! I have made Sheppard's pie before, but this recipe has more flavor! A great family dinner...a dinner my two and four year old love to help make & eat too! Really love this recipe--a family favorite for sure!