Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I needed a shepherd's pie recipe for our church's VBS this past summer, and after looking through recipes on 'Zaar, I based mine on Kittencal's Cheesy Shepherd's Pie Kittencal's Cheesy Shepherd's Pie
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (the leaner the better)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (10 ounce) jar beef gravy
- 3 tablespoons cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box instant mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese (I use a Mexican 4-cheese blend)
- For the Base:.
- Brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic together; drain.
- Cook frozen vegetables according to package directions; drain.
- Stir the vegetables into the beef mixture and add the rest of the base ingredients, mixing well.
- Pour into a 13x9" baking dish.
- For the Topping:.
- Mix both pouches of instant potatoes according to the directions on the box, using the quantities of milk, butter, and hot water as listed.
- Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Spread carefully over the beef mixture to the edges of the pan, being careful to seal all the edges and corners.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and casserole is heated through (will be bubbly).