Recipe by Kit^..^ty Of Canada
This is a comfort dish. Can be made ahead & place in the frig. I make this, if I require any minor surgery as this dish is easy on the stomach. This is low salt as my diet requires. It is best when Beef broth is replaced with a can of consume beef broth undiluted. To much salt for me.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 2⁄3 teaspoons garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup homemade beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- For topping.
- place potatoes in large saucepan, bring to a boil then simmer partially covered 20 minutes till soft to fork.
- Drain well.
- Add milk, mash till fluffy.
- Keep warm.
- For filling.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat add onions to softed.
- Add carrots& garlic saute 2 minute.
- Add beef& thyme brown till no longer pink.
- Add broth& simmer 1 hours.
- Add cornstarch mixed ith cold water add to meat filling& cook 5 minute.
- till thickened.
- Place meat mixture in buttered ovenproof casserol dish.
- Spread potatoes on top.
- Score topping.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven 30 to 40 minutes& filling is hot.