Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my favorite version. The nutmeg is my "secret" ingredient. Amounts need not be exact.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 16 ounces frozen green peas
- 8 cups mashed potatoes
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Brown ground beef with 1/2 chopped onion& 1 clove chopped garlic.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper& worcestershire sauce.
- Spread into 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Saute remaining chopped onion, 1 clove chopped garlic in a little butter- add sliced mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Layer on top of ground beef.
- Sprinkle frozen peas onto mushrooms.
- Spread on mashed potatoes next.
- Smooth completely to edges to seal like a crust.
- Lightly sprinkle potatoes with ground nutmeg.
- Top evenly with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese starts to golden and contents are bubbling.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
This was really good! I used a garlic mashed potato and added corn as well as peas. Made for PAC Spring '12
I've never made Shepard's pie before trying this recipe. I don't think it's my kind of dish. I just thought it was a little blah. Had lots of leftovers and was very sick of this dish by the time it was all used up. Perhaps this is a good recipe, if you like shepards pie.
Delicious! The nutmeg IS the secret! Such great comfort food. I used a little less mashed potatoes about 4 cups, a little more meat about 1 3/4lbs, 8 oz cheese and about 12 oz of frozen peas just because that is what I had on hand and the only thing I would change next time would be to add about one more cup of potatoes. Thanks for a great version of this classic food.