Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my favorite version. The nutmeg is my "secret" ingredient. Amounts need not be exact.
Make and share this Shepherd's Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Brown ground beef with 1/2 chopped onion& 1 clove chopped garlic.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper& worcestershire sauce.
- Spread into 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Saute remaining chopped onion, 1 clove chopped garlic in a little butter- add sliced mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Layer on top of ground beef.
- Sprinkle frozen peas onto mushrooms.
- Spread on mashed potatoes next.
- Smooth completely to edges to seal like a crust.
- Lightly sprinkle potatoes with ground nutmeg.
- Top evenly with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese starts to golden and contents are bubbling.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
This was really good! I used a garlic mashed potato and added corn as well as peas. Made for PAC Spring '12
I've never made Shepard's pie before trying this recipe. I don't think it's my kind of dish. I just thought it was a little blah. Had lots of leftovers and was very sick of this dish by the time it was all used up. Perhaps this is a good recipe, if you like shepards pie.
Delicious! The nutmeg IS the secret! Such great comfort food. I used a little less mashed potatoes about 4 cups, a little more meat about 1 3/4lbs, 8 oz cheese and about 12 oz of frozen peas just because that is what I had on hand and the only thing I would change next time would be to add about one more cup of potatoes. Thanks for a great version of this classic food.