Recipe by Little Chef
A lower calorie and lower fat version of a favorite comfort food. Cottage cheese is optional.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover potatoes and garlic with water in a large saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low, simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain, return to saucepan.
- Place cottage cheese in a food processor and process until smooth and thick. Add to potatoes and mash to desired consistency.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Brown meat in large skillet.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Add vegetables, broth and ketchup. Continue to cook 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into an 8 inch baking dish. Cover with mashed potatoes and top with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.