Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "The Complete Book of Irish Country Cooking" by Darina Allen.
Make and share this Shepherd's Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb minced cooked beef or 1 lb hamburger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups combined stock and thick gravy (approximately)
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (fresh preferably)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb mashed potatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can peas or 1 (8 ounce) can corn
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion. Cover with the butter wrapper and cook over low heat for 5 minutes until soft but not colored.
- Add the flour and cook until browned. Add the stock, bring to a boil and skim. Add the tomato puree, chopped parsley, thyme leaves, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the meat and peas/corn to the sauce and bring to a boil. Put in a pie dish, cover with the mashed potatoes and score the top with a fork. Reheat in a moderate oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with Irish Bread.