Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "The Complete Book of Irish Country Cooking" by Darina Allen.
Make and share this Shepherd's Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb minced cooked beef or 1 lb hamburger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups combined stock and thick gravy (approximately)
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (fresh preferably)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb mashed potatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can peas or 1 (8 ounce) can corn
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion. Cover with the butter wrapper and cook over low heat for 5 minutes until soft but not colored.
- Add the flour and cook until browned. Add the stock, bring to a boil and skim. Add the tomato puree, chopped parsley, thyme leaves, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the meat and peas/corn to the sauce and bring to a boil. Put in a pie dish, cover with the mashed potatoes and score the top with a fork. Reheat in a moderate oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with Irish Bread.