Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was never too fond of Shepherd's Pie until I tried this recipe. Have been making it ever since. I especially like that there is quite a bit of sauce in the meat mixture. You can add more or scale back a bit if there is too much sauce.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons spices (oregano, basil, garlic)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- cooked potato
- Brown beef; drain and run under hot water to get rid of excess fat, then add back to pan.
- Add onion, green pepper, and celery.
- Saute 5 minute.
- Add mixed vegetables.
- Stir together water, beef bouillon, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mixed spices, salt, pepper, and cornstarch.
- Pour 2 cups of this into meat mixture.
- Cover and simmer 30 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes.
- When done add butter, salt, pepper, milk, and a little paprika.
- Mash together to make a creamy potato.
- Pour remaining sauce into meat mixture.
- Cook for 12 minute.
- or until thickened.
- Add a LITTLE more cornstarch/water combo if needed.
- Put meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with creamed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 375F until potatoes are golden on top- approx.45 minute.
This recipe was not only delicious but simple to make. The only thing I would do differently is make more mashed potatoes...because the quantity wasn't specified I only used two and it really needed more. Overall the flavor was incredible and it really did make the perfect amount of sauce.
Changed a few little things in the recipe....like more garlic and celery and added corn. But it was really good!
This was very good, i sprinkled sharp cheddar chesses the last 15 minutes...mmm...