Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great comfort food for the holidays or anytime.
- 29.58 ml oil, divided
- 340.19 g brown button mushrooms, sliced
- 226.79 g red wine, divided
- 118.29 ml carrot, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 453.59 g ground lamb or 453.59 g beef
- 14.79 ml thyme
- 236.59 ml frozen peas
- 29.58 ml butter, divided
- 29.58 ml flour
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 236.59 ml beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1419.54 ml mashed potatoes (6 medium yellow potatoes, 4 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup grated cheddar )
- 1 egg, beaten
- 44.37 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F Butter a large casserole dish.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, mushrooms and garlic and Sauté mushrooms until tender. Add 2 oz red wine to the hot pan, stirring and scraping the pan. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil, heat to add onion.
- Add onions sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add ground meat and brown, breaking meat into chunks.
- When meat is browned, season with salt, pepper and thyme. Add mushrooms & carrots mixture, peas and 1 tbsp butter.
- Sprinkle mixture with flour and stir. Then add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and remaining 6 oz wine.
- Cook and stir mixture for several minutes. Add stock and simmer until sauce is thick and somewhat reduced.
- Remove from heat and season to taste.
- Pour meat mixture into the prepared casserole.
- Drain and mash potatoes with butter, sour cream, and cheese, salt & pepper as needed.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over meat and spread over and make small peaks. (At this point you can refrigerate or freeze the dish as desired.).
- Brush potatoes with a beaten egg and sprinkle with Parmesan & Paprika.
- Bake casserole 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbling and potatoes are browned. Cook time will be longer for a cold dish.