1 hr 5 mins
Great comfort food for the holidays or anytime.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 12 ounces brown button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces red wine, divided
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb beef
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups mashed potatoes (6 medium yellow potatoes, 4 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup grated cheddar )
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400°F Butter a large casserole dish.
- 2Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, mushrooms and garlic and Sauté mushrooms until tender. Add 2 oz red wine to the hot pan, stirring and scraping the pan. Remove to a plate.
- 3Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil, heat to add onion.
- 4Add onions sauté for 2 minutes.
- 5Add ground meat and brown, breaking meat into chunks.
- 6When meat is browned, season with salt, pepper and thyme. Add mushrooms & carrots mixture, peas and 1 tbsp butter.
- 7Sprinkle mixture with flour and stir. Then add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and remaining 6 oz wine.
- 8Cook and stir mixture for several minutes. Add stock and simmer until sauce is thick and somewhat reduced.
- 9Remove from heat and season to taste.
- 10Pour meat mixture into the prepared casserole.
- 11Drain and mash potatoes with butter, sour cream, and cheese, salt & pepper as needed.
- 12Spoon mashed potatoes over meat and spread over and make small peaks. (At this point you can refrigerate or freeze the dish as desired.).
- 13Brush potatoes with a beaten egg and sprinkle with Parmesan & Paprika.
- 14Bake casserole 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbling and potatoes are browned. Cook time will be longer for a cold dish.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.1
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 784.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 17.2 g