Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a frugal Shepherds Pie recipe to help stretch those hard earned dollars!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (about a tablespoon)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil or 4 -5 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup sweet corn
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1.5 (6 ounce) cans water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- water, to cover potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, boil potatoes until tender. Drain and add parmesan cheese, milk, and butter. Mash, set aside.
- In the same pot, over medium heat, (because I HATE washing lots of pots and pans. If you must you can do this in a separate pan), add ground beef, onion, salt, pepper, thyme and basil. Brown beef and cook until onions start to become translucent. Add carrot and corn, cook and stir until heated through. Add tomato paste, 1 1/2 cans water, and Worcestershire sauce and heat through.
- Put in a 13x9 inch pan, (I line mine with heavy duty aluminum foil to save on cleanup), and bake for about 20 minutes.