Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
I have a large family, and this feeds 10-12 people. Wonderful mixture of hamburger, vegetables, garlic mashed potatoes, and topped with sharp cheddar cheese. You can mix in any type of vegetable you like. Sometimes I also add fresh sautéed mushrooms to the meat mixture.
Top Review by Ron Merlin
Very good combination of ingredients....Nice filling one-dish comfort food. The second time I made it, I placed the cheese under the potatoes, and baked it longer until the mashed potatoes were brown and crunchy on top.
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves (2 chopped and the other 2 left whole)
- 2 lbs ground round
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) canof sliced carrots, drained
- 5 -6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Put in pot. Cover with water. Add salt and 2 whole garlic cloves; bring to boil and let it cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, sauté celery, onion, and 2 cloves of chopped garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the hamburger and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce mix and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off the fat.
- Mix the 2 cans of mushroom soup in with the meat, plus 1/2 of each can of green beans, corn, and carrots. Heats on low until the vegetables are hot.
- Set the meat mixture aside and make your mashed potatoes.
- Drain potatoes, mash up the potatoes add in 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/4 cup of milk, and salt and pepper to taste; whip with a electric mixer until fluffy. You may need to add more milk, but careful not to add too much.
- After the potatoes are done, spread the meat mixture out into a deep dish casserole pan (large one). Top with the remaining 1/2 can of each green beans, corn, and carrots.
- Next, spread the mashed potatoes over the top and smooth out. Then top with 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.