Recipe by Speaktok
I changed this recipe to not be so bland. The lady that gave me this was a mother of 6 and made lots of casseroles in bulk. The recipe should make enough for at least four people. The ingredients that I have listed are the ones that I most commonly use to make this. I sometimes make the potatoes from scratch so that I can add more flavor to them. I make this for just my fiancee and I and we have at least two or three meals off one pan. If you have any suggestions feel free to tell me.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb turkey
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons double concentrated tomato paste (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (or three leaves of finely cut up fresh basil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon A.1. Original Sauce
- hot sauce (optional)
- 2 (12 ounce) bags frozen mixed vegetables (I use Bird's Eye brand because the bags can be microwaved easily)
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) boxbetty crocker's instant mashed potatoes, any flavor (or you can use real potatoes)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Dice the onion and the garlic.
- Brown meat with the garlic and onion. Salt and pepper lightly.
- While meat is browning cook veggies according to package directions.
- After meat is fully browned transfer mixture to a casserole dish with a lid. If using beef then drain fat from meat before transferring to dish. (If you don't have one a 9x9 inch pan should work).
- Make both pouches of potatoes according to the box. Or if you are making your own you can have your potatoes boiling while you mix the ingredients.
- Add tomato sauce and paste, spices, and Worcestershire and A-1 sauce to the meat and mix everything together. If adding hot sauce, add to your taste.
- Once that is mixed press it into the bottom of the dish with a spoon. Then take the veggies and place them evenly on top of the meat mixture. Be careful not to dump the water from the veggie bags into the casserole.
- Once the potatoes are done, spread them over the top of the veggies.
- Once that is done put the pie in the oven for 25 minutes with the lid on. If you are using a standard pan then cover it with a piece of tin foil. In the last 5 minutes pull out the casserole and sprinkle the cheese on top and stick it back in the oven for remain time uncovered.
- I recommend serving this in bowls. This is also good with a small scoop of sour cream on the side.